Friday, August 20, 2010

Why do cats lick their lips when they are being put to sleep ?

i had to put my beloved elderly cat to sleep today and I was there as they did it, she started to lick her lips a lot and it scared me does that mean shes was in some type of discomfort or what ? does any one know please and thank youWhy do cats lick their lips when they are being put to sleep ?
Actually, I have put many cats to sleep being a former shelter employee and vet tech and have seen them even purr.





The licking of the lips I believe is caused by a decrease in salive production. If the vet used a muscle relaxer before giving her the sodium pentabarbitol, its possible that this caused it. If not, the sodium pentabarbitol definitely did.





If she had experienced discomfort, you know your girl and you know she probably would have either meow or twitched - something to let you know she wasn't comfortable. I highly doubt that she was uncomfortable.





I commend you for being with your girl as she passed. She gave you many years and you were able to give her that final companionship as she passed. I am sure your presence comforted her. I am so very sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine what I am going to go through when my cats get to that age.Why do cats lick their lips when they are being put to sleep ?
this made me cry ........and im at work tooo thank goodness im going home at 7am





Im soo sorry for your loss





i didnt know the answer but i do now after reading this.
Hiya, I dont know the answer to this one, but i would just like to say i feel so sorry for you i know what it is like to lose a much loved pet try not to think about it, she is at peace now, and she knew you loved her.
Omg that is so sad i could cry! I couldnt have been there to see that! i love cats so much! I have 3 cats and 5 kittens
Anethesia can give a strange taste in your mouth. Doesn't hurt, just unexpected.





Sorry for your loss. Been there, done that too often in the last 5 years with several elderly pets.
This made me cry too. I am so so so sorry. I do not look forward to this with my cats. But, to answer your question, I don't think this is a sign of discomfort. She most likely would have done something to really show you she was not comfortable if she wasn't. At least she's happy now and without any pain whatsoever.
I'm sorry for your loss.
So sorry for your loss. I didn't know that cats did that. I only ever had to have 1 cat put to sleep, and I kept my eyes closed whilst I cuddled her, as I wasn't brave enough to watch. You did the right thing by your old girl, and I know how you feel. xx
Sorry to hear about your loss!


You are very brave - I am sorry i don't know the answer.


I hope you are safe in the knowledge that your Kitty sufferers no longer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment