Monday, November 21, 2011

How to heal sunburnt lips?

I was recently on vacation and I got sunburnt on my lips. They feel really dry, and chapstick is not the answer. I have little bumps where the blisters are going to appear. I've put abreeva on them in hopes it would treat it like a cold sore, doesn't really work. What can I do to prevent the blisters from appearing as well as cutting my lips all open?How to heal sunburnt lips?
I would say Vaseline (petroleum jelly) or extra-gentle moisturiser, e.g. Nivea. If it's suitable for your face then it should be fine on your lips. DON'T LICK THEM - you'll dry them out faster.





Anything with aloe vera in it is good for sunburn, as is natural yogurt. Look for lip balm with aloe vera in it, or try smoothing yogurt on to them. You'll look pretty daft but just do it behind closed doors!!





Remember, your lips are made of skin just the rest of your face, only much much thinner. So treat them as you would treat the rest of your face - put sun cream on them before you go in the sun, and aftersun / moisturiser when you come out of it. Also, it sounds obvious, but just try not to open your mouth too wide to avoid cracking the sides. Sun burn is nasty and you have my sympathy, but it will heal eventually if you keep treating it gently!

No comments:

Post a Comment